It all started with an empty picture frame. Behold—->
I had a conversation with my garage, and he (yes, my garage is male) said he was going to pop a spring at just the right moment and sever my head with his door if I didn’t remove the gold picture frame that had been stationed inside of him for the past two months. Now he is a pretty big talker (and a little bit of a drinker, between you and me) so I didn’t know if I should believe him or not. Regardless, I decided to play it safe, remove the picture frame, buy my garage a 30 pack of Bud Ice and keep my head intact.
I have seen decorators in the past staple chicken wire to the back of frames to clip up pictures and notes. And when I say “decorators,” I obviously don’t mean one, or a few for that matter. I have seen dozens of examples of the same thing by SEVERAL decorators. So I decided to switch it up a bit because even though it may be a little tired, that doesn’t negate the fact that it’s still a good idea. But instead of chicken wire, I created my own pattern.
First I spread out a blanket on the floor. I like to do all of my projects that deal with sharp tacks or staples on a bright blanket, which makes the little, shiny pieces easy to spot, so I don’t “spot” it with my foot in five days.
This may seem counterproductive, but I then put staples back in the frame, making sure to line up the center of the staple with the dots.
The thing that I feel makes my DIY projects work so well (or so terribly) is that I am not a details fanatic. If a measurement is a bit off (and it doesn’t affect the outcome) or a nail is a little crooked, I am most likely not going to fix it. Reason being; I do not want to torture myself with the insignificant technicalities. I would never finish a project because I’d be so frustrated with my minor errs, so I just close my eyes and continue (figuratively speaking… and sometimes literally.)
I experimented with a few patterns and finally decided to quarter the frame with one empty section at the top, two sections with just diagonal wires on each side and one section of diamonds at the bottom. And this is what happened…..
The setting in which this piece resides is, well, less than formal. I didn’t feel the need to straighten out wires or ensure that I went over then under instead of under then over on my wire weaving. If I were making this for a friend, it would be a flawless masterpiece (I’m sort of serious) but it’s just my house and I know what level of shoddiness I can accept before it’s too much to bear. My point is that if you pay close attention to detail, this could look amazing, but again I’m sure yours won’t be accented by a Step 2 Play Kitchen.