I don’t know if you recall my tile mishap. Long story short, I pried off a towel rack that was, unfortunately, not glued to the tile but anchored in the wall. I was left with these chic square holes. As modern and trendy as geometric tile-holes may be this season, it just wasn’t for me, so here is my story (in photos) of how I solved this minor
pain in the ass issue.
First I measured these oddly shaped holes and cut some scrap wood to jam inside. (I don’t have any footage of me fumbling with the wood and hacksaw, but I’m sure if you saw it then you’d feel better about how ridiculous you might look doing it.) As you can see, my mom came over for a bit of Mother-Daughter bonding…and this is how we do it…with mallets.
I then installed the brackets the way I typically would on the wall, except (because this was through wood instead of plaster) I decided to forgo the anchors. Because the wood pieces are so small, the screws eventually split the wood and I had to use caulk and mod-podge (I’m slightly embarrassed to admit the second adhesive) to glue the wood back together with the 2 substances and then caulk around the outside of the wood pieces to solidify the fit.
All that was left at this point was to wait for the caulk and glue to dry.
Once everything was set, I slipped on the bracket covers and towel bar. Just to make sure it was super, duper secure I also caulked and mod-podged the covers to the tile. It may have not been needed, but I would rather do something when it’s unnecessary than to not do something when it is necessary. …which is why the project took 1.5 hours.