Here’s the deal; I can’t work on something for 4 hours today and then not blog about it. I JUST CAN’T! I don’t want to weaken the effect of the “Grand Reveal” of the finished product, but I’m willing to risk it in order to have my own miniature cathartic moment. Don’t worry, most of this will be in photos.
This is how the drawers looked when the platform bed was assembled in their bedroom.
The drawers are in a slight sate of disrepair. Yes, the holes in the front are from where handles use to be. And no, I did not remove the handles, they apparently were gone when Missy got the bed from a family member. But obviously, that is the tip of the iceberg.
So then I started Sanding.
This is a drawer after "Sanding: Round 1." As you can see there is definitely some old color left and the handle holes have wood filler spilling out of them.
This is another drawer after "Sanding: Round 2." There's much less of the previous pigment and the wood filler has been sanded flush to the wood.
And here are their brothers and sisters. Four have gone through "Sanding: Rounds 1 and 2," while the other two have only gone through "Sanding: Round 1."
The Sanding Plan
Round 1: Get the bulk pigment and stain off.
Round 2: Sand the scrappy stuff that was missed in Round 1.
Round 3: Hand sand the stubborn colored spots.
Round 4: Sand the rough spots in the fiberboard.
Round 5: Start Sanding: Rounds 1 to 3 on the rest of the platform.
And it’ll be grand!