In case you haven’t noticed, my house has a tendency to look like a dark cave. Even though high ceilings typically make a space look open, the heaviness finally got to me. So I gathered my supplies…
You may think it odd that I chose a plant hook to hang my light, but you would think nothing of it if you know how bulbous my shade is. I needed a hook that could come out from the wall AND have it come out far enough that it kept my shade from hitting the wall. A plant hook was my only choice, but it was a good one.
First I installed the plant hook and 2 wall anchors. The hook went on the darkest wall (even though it has a generous window), and one anchor went directly under it while the other went above the left corner of the window.
I then threaded the portable pendant (or what I like to think of as “The Light Bulb on a Cord.”) through the shade and secured it with…a rubber band. You won’t have to use a rubber band, but my shade was from a thrift store so there was a bit of modification necessary. It’s a minor detail, so I won’t drone on about it.
Next I twisted hooks into the anchors so I could wrap the cords around them. Then it was time to actually hang the light. I hung the cord on the plant hook, then weaved it back through the light, brought it down through the shade, around the anchor under the light, over to the left anchor by the corder of the window, and down the left side of the window to the wall outlet behind the couch. That sounds a lot more complicated then it actually was, so here is a picture.
As you can see, I didn’t think it through very well. Since I weaved the cord down through the shade I thought (for some crazy reason) that it would help disguise it, but it really just made it super obvious. So I had to rethink and even worse, rehang.
I pulled the cord up from the floor, past all of the anchors and up through the shade. Then I hung the cord on the outside of the shade and brought it down the wall and wrapped it around the first anchor…but there was another problem. Even though the plant hook was long, the cord was going diagonally behind the shade from the hook to the wall. Because it was diagonal it was bumping the shade forward so the front lifted forward at a 45 degree angle, giving you an amazing view of the bulb.
So I unwrapped the cord from the anchor and twisted it around and around and around the plant hook about 8 times, so now it was able to hug the wall as it went behind the shade to the anchor.
I was finally able to put the cord through the two anchors for THE LAST TIME! It was my victory for the day, maybe even (sadly) the week.
And the finished product was worth all of the wall implement issues. Anchors away!