Apparently I’ve been focused on lighting recently; from my tension lamp to my table lamp, I’ve done some pretty simple updates. This most recent one is a bit more complicated as I took my cue from Pinterest. I HATE saying that I got ideas from Pinterest because (as much as I like the site) I feel like it’s so cheap to copy ideas outright, especially when you know 500 other people are doing the exact same thing. Regardless, I always put my Space-Lift twist on things, but Project 1 and Project 2 are what inspired me.
I started with a piece of mirrored art that I bought at Family Dollar two years ago for $10; pretty reasonable for what it is.
It was alright, but definitely lacking in the *Oomf* department.
First I opened up the back and popped out the mirror, which was fit to the back like a picture frame, and did a quick and dirty silver spray job.
Next I gathered some leaves, stuck them into place with double-sided tape, and sprayed it down with a calm blue.
When I pulled up the leaves, I thought the silver was too stark of a contrast from the blue, so I laid down a couple more leaves and sprayed around them with green. Once I was satisfied with the amount of green I added, I did a quick, light coat of the blue over the whole thing so it muted the green and silver a bit.
Once all of the paint was dry I took it inside and hot glued purple and cream fabric to the back of the wood. Then I took some Christmas lights (LED lights would work best because they won’t get hot, but I used regular ones because I know I won’t have it on for long periods) and stapled them to the back. MAKE SURE NOT TO KNICK THE WIRES WITH THE STAPLES!
Finally it was time to display my lights! I was initially going to hang it on the wall, but I got lazy. THAT’S RIGHT! I can admit it. I got super duper lazy and decided not to (technically) finish.
The lights on the back were too bulky to allow for the lights to sit flush against the wall. I anticipated this and was prepared to build out the back with some scrap pieces of wood so it would be a box full of lights, more than a piece of wood with lights behind it. Also I knew I would have a cord hanging from it and that isn’t sexy in the least. So I scrapped the whole “wall idea” and just set it out on the entryway piece by my door.
I know my new artwork doesn’t compensate for the ugly wallpaper that I haven’t gotten around to removing yet,