So HOPEFULLY you saw the cabinet demo video, now it’s time to show the finished product. With the weather being less than hospitable, I’m lucky I had three days to finish these before the freezing rain started…again.
Let’s check out this nonsense!
I had so much convincing to do in order for my friend to agree to these tables!
So I couldn’t let her down by executing a half-hearted attempt. Seriously, COULD NOT!
First came the spray primer. There was such a thick layer of finish on the tables that I decided that priming instead of sanding was the way to go. Plus, the wood was SOOO dark that I would have had to prime anyway.
After I primed the doors, I realized they just wouldn’t do, so I “removed” the centers to replace them with something a little classier.
Next came the all over paint job. Nothing is quite as chic as glossy white, I don’t care who you ask.
Then came the “glass.” My friend didn’t want to get on her hands and knees every week to clean glass AND I didn’t want to cut glass. So I lined a baking pan with petroleum jelly (gobs and gobs for texture) and waited for it to dry. NOTE: Bubbles are best removed by blowing on them with a straw.
I used only one coat of rub on poly, popped the dried resin into the back of the door and glued around the edges with a combination of wood glue and Gorilla glue. Then I attached the hardware.
I painted the inside of the cabinets pink and used spray finisher to complete the job. We had discussed painting the inside gray, but I have a tendency to go rogue.
Finally I attached the doors and glued on my fleur de lis ornaments. I decided to make them asymmetrical because it reminded me of a broach…and for some reason that appealed to me.
This is how my experiment turned out!
Love this little guy!
And I love this big guy!
Dramatic sunlight view.