I didn’t think dumpster diving was genetic, but I must have learned it from someone, and my mother (Alexis) seems as though she is the culprit. She found an old headboard outside of the Mattress Mart where I bought a new box spring. Her guest bedroom was in need of a headboard and the price was right ($0!!!).
This is what was fished out from (next to) the dumpster.
As you can see it wasn’t in spectacular shape as the wood veneer was pulling off in strips. But my mom had seen me work magic with veneered furniture before so she told me she just wanted it painted white. …White. Just white…it’s a good thing it goes in a bedroom because a plain, white headboard could put anyone to sleep in no time.
And so it goes, I figured I knew better and I decided to do whatever I wanted….for two reasons, really. 1) It’s my mother’s day gift and I’ve made MANY questionable mother’s day presents ranging from macaroni pictures to macrame key chains, so I ventured to create another potential flop. And reason 2) I don’t mean to toot my own horn here, but it’s often hard for people to imagine anything other than what they have always had, especially when it comes to decor. Maybe a white headboard is unimaginative, but it’s safe and there’s no concern that it will look bad. BUT it takes someone who doesn’t live in your house (and isn’t scared to mess it up) to be truly objective.
So instead of painting a white headboard, I upholstered it with colorful, graphic fabric. I bought duck cloth (I wanted it durable) from JoAnn fabric as well as 2 yards of half inch batting (I wanted it soft).
From here on out, the story is best told in pictures.
I took the batting and stapled it at the very bottom of the headboard. Then I brought it over the top and stapled the other side to the bottom. Next I just pulled both edges around the sides and stapled like crazy. The I stapled across the top of the headboard because, hey, why not?
It’s a bit crooked, but it did the job. Plus, no one will see it.
I then started to attach the fabric. I began by laying the headboard face down and stapling the fabric (pattern up) to the bottom of the back, leaving the fabric by the legs loose for adjustment. Then I brought the material under to the front of the board, over the top and around to the back again.
I left the back hanging and grabbed my finished cord. I know this cord is usually used inside of material, but the off-white matched the fabric so I decided to give it a whirl. My initial thought was to place upholstery tacks or studs across the top and sides to hide the staples, but the guest bedroom has country cottage feel that totally disagrees with tacks. I just placed a stripe of hot glue on top of the staples and stuck the cord right on top. I glued in 2 inch increments just to make sure the trail didn’t veer off coarse. Once the cord covered all of the staples I cut it off and hot glued it behind the board.
Once the hot glue dried I focused on finishing the back. I made an inch fold at the bottom of the material that was hanging and lined it up to the material that was stapled around the bottom from the front, and stapled right on top of the folded material. Next, I cut the large chunks of extra fabric off of the sides down to 1.5 inches of overage. Finally I folded the material over to make a clean hem and stapled it right to the back of the headboard. I made sure the ends of my cord were hot glued into place and then did a Rock Star dance because this whole thing only took 2 hours!
Finally I folded the material over to make a clean hem and stapled it right to the back of the headboard. I made sure the ends of my cord were hot glued into place and then did a Rock Star dance because this whole thing only took 2 hours!
This is the finished back….and Kyle’s Lions pajama pants.
I was a little nervous, considering this was absolutely not what my mom had asked me to do, but she loved it! (She’s my mom, she wouldn’t tell me even if she didn’t.) My concern about the clashing patterns (Hollywood Regency pattern mixed into the cottage design) completely melted away once the board was in place.
…and to think I nearly painted!