I’ve finally finished another piece! I know it seems like it has taken forever, but the issue lies more with me starting 3 pieces and then making gradual progress on them all (I don’t recommend this in the least, but I blame it on my self-diagnosed A.D.D.)
My table made a transformation that I never really anticipated. I love it, my mother isn’t a fan, and Kyle hates the fact that the resin treatment I used has ruined our carpet. But I live in Michigan, which means projects can only be done outdoors about five months of the year (at best!) and sometimes that leads to resin trickling into the carpet and sticking to it like 44-year-old chewing gum… but I digress. Either way, onto the main attraction!
Kyle’s mom gave us this table over a year ago when we needed it in our rental. Honestly, we had outgrown it’s sharp edges and garish color, but I knew I could make it something awesome. So I disassembled the two layers and chiseled off the top layer of veneer to give me more even tops to play with. The I sanded the tops and legs.
I sanded the legs smooth and filled the cracks with wood filler. Once the filler dried I sanded the legs again and painted them grey. Next, the table tops got a boat load of attention. I painted those with the same grey, filled the holes on the top with pieces of clothesline (anything could have worked, just to block the resin treatment from dripping into the holes) and taped off the sides with a mixture of bathtub caulking strip (I know it sounds a little “makeshift” at best, but I had extra laying around and it worked well), painter’s tape and electrical tape. The outcome looked like a Frankenstein monstrosity, but it was necessary prep for the resin.
I used this resin and glass paint to get the desired affect. I followed the directions on the box (I would like to say that I followed them to the letter, but I know I didn’t stir long enough.) Regardless, once I mixed it I used white glass paint and dumped it into the mixture before I dumped it on the tabletops. The resin pours like honey so I had to spread it out with a sponge brush to make sure all areas of the wood were covered. Once the white resin had settled, I shook up my design by plopping lilac glass paint on top of the wet resin and just smeared it around haphazardly. I didn’t have a real plan, but luckily this was the type of project where a plan was not 100% necessary. Once it dried I was left with what looked like two slabs of psychedelic marble.
Then it was just a matter of sanding the edges where the resin hardened into odd shapes and jagged edges. I also sanded the sides where the resin had dripped down the sides and landed on the felt. …Which is where my ruined carpet comes in. You see, I put down felt to catch the spills, but I didn’t expect the spills to be so large that it would soak through the felt and harden to the floor. Well, my dear friend, it did. And it looks something like this.
Ick, I know, this is no good for my home decor (and for about 45 minutes it was really bad for my relationship) but damnit, sometimes risks have to be taken and mistakes have to get made! (And you didn’t even need to find those words of wisdom on Pinterest.)
My last order of business was to paint the sides of the table tops, varnish them and then varnish the table legs that I had previously painted. Finally, after all of that nonsense and messing about, I was able to put the legs back on and plop the small table back onto the big table. And this is how it turned out!
I would like to call this an overall win. It’s just like that old wedding saying “I’m not losing a carpet, I’m gaining a table.” Kyle on the other hand, may not find my logic so witty. Once again, wish me luck!