RSS Feed

Tag Archives: lamp

Discom-BULB-ulated


Ahhh the 70’s; the memorable era of carpeted walls, brass fixtures and oversized, yellow spotted lamps.

Spots

 

Yeah, that’s real.¬†

Since, in my opinion, a lamp is just a bulb on a long cord that is run through a hollowed-out vase (in layman’s terms) I decided there was no harm in loosening a few wing nuts and pulling the old girl apart.

 

 

Rod

 

In this instance there is a hollow, threaded rod inserted through the middle because this behemoth of a lamp weighs more than a small child and comes in three separate pieces.

This is where the spray paint enters the scene.

I taped off the cord and socket (because even though the lamp unscrewed, the parts were inseparable) primed with spray primer, then did what I do best…make bad decisions quickly with my eyes closed.

Well Look ye' Here

My decision making process went something like this.

“I like blue. What is better than blue? Three different blues!!” The end.

Come here often, lovely?

 

The spray primer was a good, sticky base for the spray paint so I didn’t use spray sealant on top. PLUS, in my experience, most glossy spray paints tend to turn a bit matte when coated with a sealant (even if it seems like a glossy sealant) so I avoid it whenever possible.

OK, maybe the 70’s didn’t always have the greatest concept of space or regard for complimentary colors, but in theory, a massive, speckled lamp sounds stunning to just about everyone, right?…Yeah, I didn’t think so.

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

A Simple Cover-Up


This is the first time I have ever recovered a lamp shade. I’m sorry that I didn’t take more pictures, but I honestly thought it would look terrible and I didn’t want much evidence of my failure. Wouldn’t you know it, it actually worked out for me. But I had a few things in my favor…

1. I had a nearly perfect, cylindrical shade to wrap fabric around, which saved me a lot of bumps and folds.

After I cut out a (too large) rectangle of fabric, I put glue on the circumference of the top and bottom edges, as well as four vertical lines down the sides.

2. I used very forgiving fabric, so if there were wrinkles, they were very well camouflaged.

After I ironed the material, I laid it out and rolled the shade over the fabric tightly like an unappetizing taco. Then I glued down the last edge of the cloth to ensure I wouldn't be left with a weird flap.

3. I used sharp shears which enabled super accurate snips.

I cut down the excess fabric to an inch of material at the top and bottom. Then I glued around and under the rims and folded the fabric over.

4. Again I used forgiving fabric, so I didn’t need to cover the seam on the side. If it was necessary I could have cut out a half inch strip of fabric, folded and glued it in half, and then glued it (with it’s seam down) on the edges or along the seam. But again, it wasn’t necessary (this time).

Then I stood back, amazed at the (near) effortlessness of the transformation.

Here's my shade in it's natural habitat. I have new plans for this lamp's previous shade, and this shade's new look made it a perfect replacement.

%d bloggers like this: